Apple Watch Series 2: Masterpiece Wearable, but Overpriced? - BSTechReviews

Latest

Welcome to my Tech Blog, which is dedicated to all those people who love reading about technology and stuff. I do gadget reviews as well, so there is inclusion of the same in my blog. Feel free to like and subscribe. lots more coming up.

Saturday 26 November 2016

Apple Watch Series 2: Masterpiece Wearable, but Overpriced?


Overview:
So here's my honest opinion about the Apple Watch Series 2. So first let me tell you I haven't even used the Apple Watch Series 1 before buying this. That was because i did read a lot of negative criticism about it and by that time I bought the Motorola Moto 360 1st Generation Smartwatch, which I think is one of the best wearables for me. I had been desperately waiting for the launch of the new Apple Watch, as I heard a lot of rumours that it will be much better than the 1st Generation. 

Firstly it took me like 15 days to one month to get this. I tried every damn place , stores in India, Online shopping sites, but I could not find one until 1st of November 2016, thanks to Flipkart and my dear Sister who gifted this to me. For Indian buyers its a nightmare because its difficult to get a Apple Watch case and Strap combination of your choice. I was thinking between the Apple Watch 38mm and 42mm , but I always was keen towards getting the 42mm case. The 38mm case was readily available but not the 42mm case. My first choice was the Apple Watch Series 2 42mm Space Grey Aluminium case with Black Woven Nylon. Finally after trying like hell, I got a different band. I didn't care much as I realised bands are replaceable but once you buy the case you cannot change it. So please make sure you get a case of your choice. 

 

Design:
So I got myself the Gold Aluminium case with Cocoa Sport band, which didn't seem bad after all. I was kind of happy with what I got. But let me tell you Sport Bands are kind of difficult to wear one handed. I had and still have a tough time wearing those. It has a premium rubbery feel and the box pack gives you a default longer band for the 42mm version , and a smaller band ( in my case my wrist was small so i switched to the smaller band). I don't know regarding the 38mm version whether it comes with a bigger band or not. 




One of the things I did notice was that it has a REALLY premium feel to the watch and trust me , if you walk wearing the watch people WILL NOTICE. After all its an Apple Watch lol. It has a Digital Crown that you can press to get to the Apps Home Screen and turning the crown will let you zoom in and out to and from an app. You can either tap to go into the app or zoom in as well. The side button acts like a button that lets you access your most recent apps used or you can also select what apps you want to access.



It has a completely waterproof design and yes you can swim in water upto 50mtrs with the watch and don't worry about it at all. As you can see above there are two rectangular holes on the left side(speakers), so if you need to eject any left over water from the watch, swipe up from below the watch screen and click the droplet icon and the watch will make a sound and eject the water. How cool is that? The other two circular holes are the improved mic for "Hey Siri" command and interacting with Siri much better. Although the speaker quality is too low and many users have complained on several forums about it.



Specifications:
The Apple Watch Series 2 is powered by a S2 Dual Core Processor with built in GPS functionality. It is water resistant upto 50 metres which means that you can carefree swim and monitor your health on the go. It sports a 2nd Generation OLED Retina Display Force Touch technology which means by pressing harder on the watch you can access more functions. 

Coming to the battery life of the Watch, let me tell you this is even better than the best battery life smartphones out there. Apple website says 18 hours, however I have personally used it several times and it lasts me about 48-60 hours of battery life , considering I am a heavy user of the Watch, with notifications, fitness, GPS etc that I use on a daily basis. It is a very intelligent watch.  



The best part about the watch I like are the watch faces and the level of customisations it has to offer. From changing watch faces, downloading new watch faces to changing what content is being shown on each section of a watch face, every damn this is customisable. 

All you need to do is Force Touch the watch face, and press the "Customise" button. Now it will offer you to touch different sections on the watch called as complications. To know more about how to do this follow the link below officially from Apple. 

https://support.apple.com/en-in/HT205536

Price and Variants:
As far as the watch itself goes, it comes in a lot of different variant and colours and the most newly introduced variant called the "Nike+" edition. This is exclusively made for people who are crazy about being fit. The price for the "Nike+" edition is same as the other Sport Band Models.

1. Aluminium case - Cheapest model available.
2. Stainless Steel case - Expensive Models.
3. Hermes and Edition - These are the most expensive models and don't even consider it unless you really have the cash to spend. It costs a whooping lakh and above.


Please find the pricing for the watch models available below for your reference.

Apple Watch Series 2 Aluminium Case with Sport Band - 32,900/- INR for 38mm and 34,900/0 for the 42mm.
Apple Watch Series 2 Stainless Steel Case with Milanese Loop - 58,900/ INR for 38mm and 60,900/- INR for 42mm.
Apple Watch Series 2 Hermes Edition - Price not known to me but should be above 85000 INR I think.
Apple Watch Series 2 Ceramic Edition - 1,10,000 INR .

So in my opinion if your are an Apple Fan and want to experience this masterpiece by Apple then I suggest you go with the basic Aluminium case with Sport band, as you all are aware Apple does keep launching products every 6 months to a year and it is senseless to spend on a high end smartwatch like this, if you plan to change it with new Series. If style and Status is what you want go for higher variants.

And one more thing I forgot, if you are a person who is into Business, and get stressed a lot during work on remain sitted for hours, this will definitely get your butt moving! Hope you enjoyed this review and lots more coming up. Stay tuned.








No comments:

Post a Comment